National Media: Weird Al "Foil"




"Foil" is the new parody song from Weird Al Yankovich, which is based on the Lorde song "Royals." Somebody matched the beat up to sound exactly like the original. And Al is surprisingly good at harmonizing identically. In fact many of the syllables in the song are remarkably similar. "Royals" in the chorus has been switched to "Foil" and other lines. 

He begins the song with a verse about food.



[Verse 1:]
I never seem to finish all my food
I always get a doggie bag from the waiter
So I just keep what's still unchewed
And I take it home, save it for later

And then he humorizes the food by talking about bacteria. 

[Pre-Chorus:]
But then I deal with fungal rot, bacterial formation
Microbes, enzymes, mould and oxidation
I don't care, I've got a secret trick up my sleeve
I never bother with baggies, glass jars, tupperware containers
Plastic cling wrap, really a no-brainer
I just like to keep all my flavours sealed in tight

This is a precursor to the chorus, which is about aluminum foil. 

[Chorus:]
With aluminum foil (foil)
Never settle for less
That kind of wrap is just the best
To keep your sandwich nice and fresh
Stick it in your cooler (cooler)
Eat it when you're ready
But maybe you'll choose (you'll choose, you'll choose, you'll choose)
A refreshing herbal tea

um foil. which he prefers to wrap his food in. 

[sip] Mmm, lovely!

here's where things get a little bit weird:

[Verse 2:]
Oh, by the way, I've cracked the code
I've figured out these shadow organizations
And the Illuminati know
That they're finally primed for world domination

at this point in the video, the mood changes dramatically. the tone goes from bright daytime TV stage lighting to a dark deep purple. 

then the song picks up. the room starts to resemble the set of Alex Jones Infowars:

[Pre-Chorus:]
And soon you've got black helicopters comin' cross the border
Puppet masters for the New World Order
Be aware: there's always someone that's watching you
And still the government won't admit they faked the whole moon landing
Thought control rays, psychotronic scanning
Don't mind that, I'm protected cause I made this hat

and in an instant, the tone of the room changes back to daytime TV mode. 
same room, same props, different lighting. 

[Chorus:]
From aluminum foil (foil)
Wear a hat that’s foil lined
In case an alien's inclined
To probe your butt or read your mind
Looks a bit peculiar ('culiar)
Seems a little crazy
But someday I'll prove (I'll prove, I'll prove, I'll prove)
There's a big conspiracy

The big conspiracy is how he's still doing this crap. And why nobody sues him? Does he have some kind of immunity because everything he does is a blatant parody? And what do the artists think, feel, or respond as when they find out their song has been parodied?

Also noted are the new sponsors. Funny or Die. College Humor. He's found a new online niche and making new connections. He's on a rampage, creating lots of new videos, including a weird marching song and this other one about being handy.