Officially "Oldies"

Written by Christina Marie Del Santo.

When an object becomes 25 years old it becomes an antique. A movie becomes a classic, and a song becomes the dreaded "oldie". Most of have the idea of bopping around the back seat of our mothers cars (without seatbelts) listening to The Beach Boys, Elvis, and the Supremes, as oldies. Well guess what: we're that age now. Our music is now oldies. A lot of it has been for years. Just turn on 101.3 f.m. and you see. Lots of Billy Joel, and worse, solo Phil Collins. It's not that the music we grew up listening to is no longer valid and doesn't serve our brains for nostalgia. It's just that, well OUR music that we grew up listening to is now oldies. Strange huh?

I remember thinking 1990 would be like the future. I had all sorts of wicked cool electronics: NES, Pxl cam, a CD player in my own room. I felt like a Jetson. So it's been kind of hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that music made in 1990, when I was 12, is now in fact oldies. Maybe it's the closer to 40 than 30 denial, but it really doesn't seem that long ago that Ice Ice Baby was popular. I am still saying "word to your mother."

So in I have compiled a list of 50 songs, that as of January 1, 2015, are now officially oldies. I hope you enjoy, I'm going to get back to my cross-stitching and telling kids to keep off my lawn!



1. Step by Step- New Kids on the Block
2. We Didn't Start the Fire- Billy Joel
3. Hold On- Wilson Philips


4. Friends in Low Places- Garth Brooks
5. Epic- Faith No More

6. Free Fallin'- Tom Petty
7. Just a Friend- Biz Markie
8. Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinéad O'Conner
9. Poison- Bel Biv Devoe
10. Vogue- Madonna
11. All I Wanna do I'd Make Love to You- Heart
12. Blues From a Gun- The Jesus and Mary Chain
13. More- Sisters of Mercy
14. Hard to Handle- The Black Crowes
15. 911 is a Joke- Public Enemy
16. I Remember You- Skid Row
17. Opposites Attract- Paula Abdul

18. Love Shack- The B52's
19. Banned in the USA- 2 Live Crew
20. Elephant Stone- The Stone Roses
21. Toms Diner- Suzanne Vega
22. Been Caught Stealing- Janes Addiction
23. Around Away Girl- LL Cool J
24. Fugazi- Repeater
25. The Last of the Famous International Playboys- Morrissey
26. U Can't Touch This- MC Hammer
27. Ice Ice Baby- Vanilla Ice
28. Blame it on the Rain- Milli Vanilli
29. Black Velvet- Alannah Myles
30. Cradle of Love- Billy Idol
31. The Humpty Dance- Digital Underground

32. Enjoy the Silence- Depeche Mode
33. Janie's Got a Gun- Aerosmith
34. Unskinny Bop- Poison
35. The Power- Snap
36. Escapade- Janet Jackson
37. Pump up the Jam- Technotronic
38. Joey- Concrete Blonde
39. Here's Where the Story Ends- The Sundays
40. Suicide Blonde- INXS
41. Expression- Salt N Pepa
42. Black Cat- Janet Jackson
43. Velouria- Pixies
44. This is How it Feels- Inspiral Carpets
45. Iris- The Breeders

46. Everything Flows- Teenage Fanclub
47. Vision of Love Mariah Carey
48. Hold On- En Vogue
49. Do Me- Bel Biv DeVoe

Bell Biv DeVoe - Do Me by Stylz

50. Don't Wanna Fall in Love- Jane Child